Monday, December 22, 2008

Doctors II

I wrote a few days ago, or so, about how great it is to live in Canada with our healthcare system, because it's better than having to fork out of pocket each visit. Then I grumbled about having to wait 4 months when I continue to have life-threatening reactions. Like the two reactions that I've had in the past 3 days. Obviously, I'm at home now and stable.

I spoke to the Immunologist's office this afternoon, and the secretary/nurse was quite annoyed that my doctor didn't indicate on my referral form that I've had this many anaphylactic reactions, let alone 2 this week. She said she needs to know if patients are urgent and obviously April is waaaaaay to long a wait to see Dr. F. So, I now have an appointment first thing in the morning. He's concerned.

I called their office because the two doctors that I've seen in Emergency in the past 3 days both said they wanted to refer to me an Immunologist right away. I told them I have a referral in April. This referral was made in November after another reaction and a 4 night, 3 day hospital stay. April 2009. Seemed forever away when all you want to do is find some answers and get, if possible, healthy. Both E.R. doctors told me to phone the Immunologist and see if I can get on a cancellation list. They were going to call but it's the weekend, and would be pointless. So, I phoned today. Sometimes, we need to proactive with our own healthcare.

Tomorrow, I will take with me a full year and half of chronology of my year with anaphylaxis, near death experiences, weight gain, inability to eat (ironic, I know), and photos that I have started taking during reactions so they can SEE what my tongue, skin, eyes, etc. look like when I'm reacting and when I'm not. I don't want to start this trip from the beginning, and an empty patient chart. I want to be well. I want to be functional. I want to live.

It's ponderous that my own doctor did not indicate on the referral the severity of my allergies/SM responses, etc. Ponderous.

No comments: