Friday, September 18, 2009

Food n' stuff

I hate to admit it but this bloody diet that Dr. Vadas has me on, is working. It's great BUT the list of foods I CAN eat is sooooooooooooooo tiny. I shouldn't complain...I mean there are things I can eat. This is the second time this year that I've gotten through a menstrual cycle without being in the hospital. YAH!!!!

This has me looking at food completely differently. For one, to realize that foods that we all take for granted that are part of most Western diets work like poison in my digestive system. This week I had a reaction (not anaphylaxis) to peeling potatoes, with Nitrel blue gloves on. I needed a mask too, I guess. Hives, itching, runny nose and eyes and that pain in my right lung. Same thing with the banana's and custard the other night. One whiff of that gorgeous smelling, just right ripe banana and I was the same.

Tongue has been puffy since. Tonight, when my husband and I went on a date I got itchy and those weird 'spots' that show up on my chest appeared with a big ring of red splotch around and over them. Tongue got tingly. With meds taken, it all died down within an hour or so. I was just sitting in a movie theatre (a small local one that I have trouble at/in) when it started AND I'd taken Benadryl prior to going in to offset anything.

Bone pain set in about an hour later.

So, now it's almost 1 am and I've got two eyes rolling in polar opposite directions from all the medications...

Overall though, this diet IS agreeing with me...no matter how much I dislike the lack of variety in it. I'm learning to cope with new strategies and with elimination of lots of stuff.

Emotionally, I'm a lot calmer and at ease these days. Very little bothers me (because if I let it, then I end up twice as bad...) and I'm not sweating the stuff that I can't control. For a control freak, this is no small feat. Being controlling isn't serving me, at all. Genuinely being at peace IS serving me well.

I've also enrolled and am doing Reiki Level 1. My teacher, Leah Wood, is AMAZING...a far cry from the crusty, miserable, pain-filled, chain-smoking woman she was when we both worked for the local municipality. She's a COMPLETELY different human being. Quite an incredible transformation actually. Like all things, she showed up in my life to teach this to me at just the right time. Turns out I've been doing this sort of thing already but I'm learning some cool techniques, and...to trust the 'healing' that channels through my humble hands. I'm glad that I'm not 'doing' anything so much as 'sharing' love and light. The toughest thing so far me has been permitting others to touch me. This makes me cringe. I am learning to 'receive'. And, it's been nothing short of incredible. We should all be touching each other a lot more, in this secure, safe and non-sexual way.

Namaste.

No comments: