Friday, March 13, 2009

That'll Teach Me...

The sun pounding through the car window was obviously too much heat for my mast-cell sensitive body. So, on route to see my Orthopedic Surgeon I started flushing, itching and feeling sick to my stomach. Got a pounding headache. Tachycardia (rapid heart beat), followed by bradychardia (slow beats) and back again. And, I was like this for a couple of hours. But, I could breathe. And, my lungs didn't hurt. I consider this, no lung & breathing pain, a huge success.

Within a minute of being in Ambulatory Care with my Ortho. Surgeon, I began reacting. When I found it difficult to swallow, I coughed, spluttered and gagged. It wouldn't stop, and then I just couldn't swallow. Totally frightening. Dr. Smythe (Ortho) called nurses for help and to geta wheelchair. A nurse came in, took one look at me and said we didn't have time to get a wheelchair, so they both grabbed me, held me firm and we scooted over to Emerg. just around the corner. However, I lost consciousness and did a face plant in the emerg. hallway. Got that weird all over body tingling sensation, felt by entire body become rag doll-like, and I woke up on the ground face down. Head hurt, and the knee I've just had surgery on in the past few weeks was killing me.

Then I puked and puked the white foamy crap that comes flying out of my body.

The benadryl injection & Epi they gave me in the arms totally did the trick. It all died down.

There's a nurse there, who's always snarky with me. I don't know if this is her attempts at humour or what, but she is brutal. When I was stable, she came in to put my wrist band on and said quietly to me, "that was quite the stunt you pulled out there, eh?" I opted to not react to her. I don't have to justify myself to this woman.

I found myself having a huge emotional reaction to all of this. I started thinking things like, "that'll teach you to go yelling to the world that you got through a month sans reaction!" and the sense that I had somehow 'failed' immeasurably washed over me. I got angry about this disease; about these reactions; about being in the rescucitation room AGAIN and for the drama that had ensued in the hallway. I wasn't there for my children last night...I felt like I had failed them.

So, you know the drill, post-reaction. Benadryl every 4 hours. Prednisone daily. And all the other meds. Rest. No un-known environments; stay safe. Rest.

This is the first reaction where my lungs haven't hurt. Perhaps the Singulair, Ketotifen & emerg. ventolin are working?

I'm not out of the woods yet. The digestive response to this was huge. I've had pain in my right kidney/adrenal gland since (last night was particularly painful) and my knees/long bones...ugh, someone shoot me.

I got about 1.5 hours sleep last night. Had to hit exhaustion before my body would succumb. Insanity. I did, however, get a good chunk of my final paper for the distance ed. course I'm taking, done.

All in all, a lot less of a reaction than usual. But still not great.

I guess the fact that I made it to a month, is still there. And good.

Ok, new goal...another month reaction-free. Here we come. Trying, at least.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about all of this. It's the last thing you needed.

About that nurse, she should definitely be reported to the College of Nurses here - http://www.cno.org/ih/index.htm

If you can get her name, even just first name, and tell me which hospital, I'll report her and get a full investigation going. Email me on this when you feel better.

{{Hug}}
Carrie

Foxxy One said...

I'm sorry you had a reaction and I'm angry that you had to deal with such a horrible nurse.

Please remember that you don't have to be subjected to this kind of care. I agree with Carrie, she needs to be reported.

Here's to your next reaction-free month.

Dawn Pongon said...

Sounds like nurse Snarky has a cork up her ass that either needs to be removed or shoved in higher. Girl! When are you going to slow down? I have had the serious flu all week, I owe you a huge email with many updates and changes. And for the future, please remember that I am the Drama Queen and you are to do all your fainting and reacting in a manner in which all nurses and doctors find acceptable. ;)
XOXOXOXOXOXOX Dawn